Saturday 23 February 2019

Alternate Future Career Pathway: Librarian

One of my alternate future career Pathways was becoming a librarian. Being a kid obsessed with reading thanks to my nan and my genetic disposition to reading thanks to my Molloy side, it's of no wonder why this was always going to be a possibility.

And so, with this in mind, I'd just like to point out how excited I was on my first day at Ōpōtiki College (literally - at my interview) when I was showed the library and the DP said they were looking for someone to take over the library to bring new life to it. I put my hand up as high as I could (while standing behind her in the corridor).

Of course, I'd be keen if I got the job. And I did. And now... I am working towards my alternate career pathway. Because there are SO many things I didn't know. That I would obviously have to know as I move forward building the library in our space and making it a fun, functional and interesting place to be.

No before photo... But there will be plenty of after photos as we start to bring it all together.

What I need:
- positive and negative experiences of using libraries
- what aspects you like about being in a library eg asthetics, seating choices, cool things your library does etc
- what aspects you don't like
- ideas for bringing students into the library eg competitions, food, book club etc
- ways to encourage staff members to use the library
- ideas for easy (and cheap) giveaways eg bookmarks etc
- any library geekiness I need to know

I've already got some awesome support people at kura and some great support at our Ōpōtiki Library in town too. The youth librarian there Juls is freaking awesome. And am hoping to get in touch with the Trident librarian soon as well.

Many thanks in advance ❤

#opotikicollegelibrary #OCLibrary #librarygeek #OCbookclub

No comments:

Post a Comment