Thursday 25 May 2017

Living with Dyscalculia

OMG. Dyscalculia. This. Awesome video.

If you've ever driven with me you'll know a few things: I can't figure out lefts and rights, I have trouble with depth perception so I either drive really far away from the person in front of me (therefore holding everyone else up behind me) or stay on the tail of the person in front and I have trouble understanding maps - where North is on the map or where I am in relation to a map.

Dyscalculia has seriously made me think I'm dumb for a massive portion of my life. My 4th form maths teacher told me I'd never achieve anything in life because I couldn't do maths. I have always had trouble remembering timestables and 'basic' math stuff. I can't tell the time properly on an analogue clock and forced myself to learn what I do know now. In fact - I only really figured it out when I began learning te reo Māori because it was in a different language and it made sense somehow. As a result I am nearly always late because I never know how long it will take for me to do something. Because... maths. I just can't... no matter how hard I try.

Dyscalculia is a learning disability. It is seriously misunderstood. It is similar to Dyslexia in the sense that Dyscalculia means you can't figure out numbers.

Anyway -- here's the link:

Living with Dyscalculia

No comments:

Post a Comment